- To take all necessary legal steps to safeguard and protect the interests and rights of the denomination;
- To maintain a file of legal briefs related to cases involving the denominational interests of The United Methodist Church;
- To make provision for legal counsel where necessary to protect the interests and rights of the denomination;
- To recommend uniform procedures for clergy housing allowances;
- To preserve the tax-exempt status of the denomination's constituent organizations;
- To supervise the use of the official United Methodist insignia, the Cross & Flame; and
- To supervise the use and maintain registrations of the name “United Methodist”.
- To serve as legal counsel to GCFA;
- To provide general legal guidance to GCFA’s council members, executive committee, general secretary, and staff to assist them in carrying out the mission and operation of GCFA;
- To initiate and defend litigation in the civil courts, when and where necessary to protect the interests of the United Methodist denomination;
- To identify and monitor litigation of interest to the United Methodist denomination;
- To prepare “friend of the court” briefs in litigation matters and appeals in cases of interest to the United Methodist denomination;
- To serve as a resource to annual conference chancellors (the locally-licensed attorneys for the annual conference) and treasurers; and
- To provide training for bishops, annual conference officers, chancellors, treasurers, district superintendents, general church agencies, and other groups on matters of church and civil law.